WWE Raw: With SummerSlam set for August 5, WWE needed to start booking some legitimate matchups for the event. They did it in a huge manner on Monday night’s WWE Raw in Atlanta.
Cody Rhodes opened the event with a promo in which he challenged Brock Lesnar to a bout at SummerSlam. Lesnar then violently assaulted Rhodes, trapping him in a kimura twice in front of Rhodes’ mother. Rhodes did eventually achieve his desire, with Lesnar accepting the offer and a rematch between the two sets for the pay-per-view. Seth Rollins will defend his world heavyweight championship in a rematch against Finn Balor, while Ronda Rousey will face old buddy and tag team partner Shayna Baszler.
Brock Lesnar goes for Cody Rhodes and accepts the SummerSlam challenge.
Cody Rhodes entered the ring to begin a show. When Rhodes took the microphone, he stated that Brock Lesnar’s shadow hovers over WWE all the time and that there is no need to talk about him and that Lesnar should come to the ring to answer the challenge for a SummerSlam showdown. Lesnar did not respond to the summons to the ring, prompting Rhodes to declare that he would be in the ring waiting no matter how long it took.
Rhodes completed his speech after honouring his mother at ringside, only for Lesnar’s music to begin playing before he could depart. However, Lesnar did not materialise, and Rhodes began to depart, only for Lesnar’s music to begin again. When Rhodes attempted to storm to the back this time, Lesnar met him with numerous chair shots. Lesnar hit an F5 on the floor in front of Rhodes’ mother after roughhousing him up and then locked in a kimura. Lesnar tossed Rhodes into the ring, locked in the kimura once again, and roared, “Challenge accepted! Bitch, I’ll see you at SummerSlam.”
What else went down on WWE Raw?
- Matt Riddle is defeated by Gunther by pinfall following a powerbomb. Imperium was barred from ringside, but that didn’t matter because Gunther overpowered Riddle and won.
- Women’s Tag Team Championship – Sonya Deville and Chelsea Green won the belts via pinfall against Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez (c) when Deville struck Morgan with a running knee. Rodriguez was hurt in a backstage encounter earlier in the programme by Rhea Ripley, allowing the challengers to pull her out of the bout early.
- Finn Balor cut in on Seth Rollins’ interview. Balor desired a world heavyweight title match against Rollins at SummerSlam. Rollins asserted that they did not need a match to settle their disagreements and that they could do it immediately. Balor appeared to back down, but he charged back in and punched Rollins down to end the segment. A SummerSlam match between the two was later confirmed.
- The Viking Raiders defeated Alpha Academy via pinfall following Ragnarok on Otis. To build up the conclusion, Valhalla pushed Maxxine Dupri through a table and then struck Otis with a cheap shot.
- When Tommaso Ciampa intervened, Bronson Reed disqualified Shinsuke Nakamura. Nakamura kicked Ciampa after the result was announced.
- Shayna Baszler submitted Nikki Cross with a Kirifuda Clutch. After the incredibly brief battle, Ronda Rousey arrived in the audience, shouting out Baszler and discussing how quickly she had surpassed him in both MMA and wrestling. They traded words until Rousey stated that she would “finally” book Baszler for SummerSlam. Later in the show, that match was made official.
- Becky Lynch was stopped on Miz TV by Trish Stratus and Zoey Stark. Lynch sought a rematch, but Stratus declined, claiming that she had previously defeated Lynch, as had Stark, and that they were “done.” Lynch ridiculed Stratus until he agreed to see Lynch, but Stratus insisted Lynch would have to go through Stark first. Stratus also stated that if Lynch loses that bout, she will have to crawl down on her knees and tattoo “thank you, Trish” on her breast. Lynch agreed to the rules before Stark and Stratus rushed her, but she chased them away.
Get in touch with us for WWE fights, WWE daily updates, WW raw updates and other WWE news.